Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD), University of Rhode Island, 1998
Pharmacy Practice (PGY1) and Critical Care Residency (PGY2), University of Kentucky Healthcare, 1999, 2000
PhD in Clinical Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Kentucky, 2007
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, 2009
Dr. Philip Empey is a clinician-scientist who conducts NIH-funded clinical and translational research aimed at understanding the mechanisms of the variability in drug response to improve medication-related outcomes in critically-ill patients. He also leads the PreCISE-Rx and Test2Learn teams to implement pharmacogenomics clinical, research, and educational initiatives at the University of Pittsburgh/UPMC. Specific current research interests include understanding the role/impact of xenobiotic transporters following neurological injury, transporter pharmacogenomics, pharmacogenomics clinical implementation, collection of medication-related phenotype information, and genotype-phenotype discovery. Dr. Empey teaches at the graduate level in pharmacokinetics, pharmacogenomics, and drug transporters in the Schools of Pharmacy, Medicine, and Nursing. He also has a research interest in innovative educational models to transform education.
- Hagos FT, Daood MJ, Ocque AJ, Nolin TD, Bayir H, Poloyac SM, Kochanek PM, Clark RSB, Empey PE. Probenecid increases plasma and brain exposure of N-acetylcysteine through a mechanism involving inhibition of OAT1 and OAT3 transporters. Xenobiotica, 2016 Jun 9:1-8. PMID: 2727858.
- Adams SM, Anderson K, Coons J, Smith RB, Meyer SM, Parker LS, Empey PE. Advancing Pharmacogenomics Education in the Core PharmD Curriculum through Student Personal Genomic Testing. Am J Pharm Educ. 2016 Feb 25;80(1):3. doi: 10.5688/ajpe8013. PMID: 26941429.
- Du L, Empey PE, Ji J, Chao H, Kochanek PM, Bayır H, Clark RS. Probenecid and N-Acetylcysteine Prevent Loss of Intracellular Glutathione and Inhibit Neuronal Death after Mechanical Stretch Injury In Vitro. J Neurotrauma. 2016 Mar 22. PMID: 26830358
- Kochanek PM, Bramlet HM, Sheer D, Dixon CE, Mondello S, Povlishock JT, Hayes RL, Wang KK, Dietrich WD, Poloyac SM, Empey P, Catania M, Anagli J, Glushakova O, Tortella FC. Operation Brain Trauma Therapy: Synthesis of Findings, Current Investigations, and Future Directions. J Neurotrauma. 2016 Mar 15;33(6):606-14. PMID: 26671284
- Margulies SS, Anderson G, Atif F, Badaut J, Clark RSB, Empey PE, Guseva M, Hoane M, Pauly J, Ragupathi R, Scheff S, Stein DG, Tang H, Hicks R. Combination Therapies for Traumatic Brain Injury: Retrospective Considerations. J Neurotrauma. 2016 Jan 1;33(1):101-12. PMID: 25970337.