PhD in Pharmacology, Baylor College of Medicine
My research focus is in the application of Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) to develop more effective drug discovery strategies that utilize integrated computational and phenotype/function-based analysis. In particular, I am leading the Huntington’s Disease QSP program where we are aligning transcriptomic data with chemogenomic data to infer critical molecular pathways involved in the disease progression and in the protection of neurotoxicity by small molecule drugs. I am also involved in the development of an iPSC-based platform for neuronal protection against infectious diseases. Finally, my research interests extend to developing approaches to detect and quantify heterogeneity in cell based model systems.
- Pei, F., H. Li, M. J. Henderson, S. A. Titus, A. Jadhav, A. Simeonov, M. C. Cobanoglu, S. H. Mousavi, T. Shun, L. McDermott, P. Iyer, M. Fioravanti, D. Carlisle, R. M. Friedlander, I. Bahar, D. L. Taylor, T. R. Lezon, A. M. Stern and M. E. Schurdak (2017). "Connecting Neuronal Cell Protective Pathways and Drug Combinations in a Huntington's Disease Model through the Application of Quantitative Systems Pharmacology." Sci Rep 7(1): 17803.
- D'Aiuto, L., Y. Zhi, D. Kumar Das, M. R. Wilcox, J. W. Johnson, L. McClain, M. L. MacDonald, R. Di Maio, M. E. Schurdak, P. Piazza, L. Viggiano, R. Sweet, P. R. Kinchington, A. G. Bhattacharjee, R. Yolken and V. L. Nimgaonkar (2014). "Large-scale generation of human iPSC-derived neural stem cells/early neural progenitor cells and their neuronal differentiation." Organogenesis 10(4): 365-377.
- Delgado, E., M. M. Boisen, R. Laskey, R. Chen, C. Song, J. Sallit, Z. A. Yochum, C. L. Andersen, M. J. Sikora, J. Wagner, S. Safe, E. Elishaev, A. Lee, R. P. Edwards, P. Haluska, G. Tseng, M. Schurdak and S.Oesterreich (2016). "High expression of orphan nuclear receptor NR4A1 in a subset of ovarian tumors with worse outcome." Gynecol Oncol 141(2): 348-356.
- Gearhart, T. L., R. C. Montelaro, M. E. Schurdak, C. D. Pilcher, C. R. Rinaldo, T. Kodadek, Y. Park, K. Islam, R. Yurko, E. T. Marques, Jr. and D. S. Burke (2016). "Selection of a potential diagnostic biomarker for HIV infection from a random library of non-biological synthetic peptoid oligomers." J Immunol Methods.
- Gough, A., T. Y. Shun, D. L. Taylor and M. Schurdak (2016). "A metric and workflow for quality control in the analysis of heterogeneity in phenotypic profiles and screens." Methods 96: 12-26.
- Stern, A. M., M. E. Schurdak, I. Bahar, J. M. Berg and D. L. Taylor (2016). "A Perspective on Implementing a Quantitative Systems Pharmacology Platform for Drug Discovery and the Advancement of Personalized Medicine." J Biomol Screen.